Eric Bailly: Why I chose Man Utd over Man City

⚽ Eric Bailly: Why I chose Man Utd over Man City ⚽



Eric Bailly has revealed Manchester City attempted to sign him ahead of Manchester United.


The defender claimed Etihad boss Pep Guardiola hoped to land him before United chief Jose Mourinho paid Villarreal £30million for his signature last summer.


Bailly told The Sun: “Manchester City were interested in me, but it was United who contacted me directly – in the form of Jose Mourinho himself.


“He is one of the best managers in the world, he wanted me to join United and I accepted.


“I was at a good Spanish club in Villarreal, but when a team as prestigious as Manchester United makes you an offer it is hard to say no.


“That is despite the fact I had not planned to leave Villarreal so soon, and I knew I would get less playing time at United.


“But I knew that I would improve under a coach like Mourinho, and with teammates such as Wayne Rooney, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Juan Mata.


“They are players who have won lots of trophies but are still hungry for more. They are true examples of professionalism, and I draw great inspiration from them.


“And despite everything I have played 27 games for United in all competitions.”